How to Keep Your Hair Healthy and Strong?
You wash it, brush it, blow-dry it, straighten it, curl it, and/or put all kinds of products in it. There's no question your hair goes through the ringer on any given day. Before you know it, your tresses can show signs of damage, from split ends to uncontrollable frizz and the older we get, the more it naturally thins out and looks dull or damaged, even without over-processing.
The good news is you can reverse the damage. Your game plan: Stop committing these common mistakes, and follow the fixes recommended by top stylists to bring your hair back to life.
Basic Hair Care Tips:
- Keep your hair clean.
- Wash them regularly with soft hands.
- Massage your scalp daily.
- Oil your hair with natural oils regularly.
- Always wash your hair with cool water.
- While drying, always keep the dryer a bit away from your hair.
- Trim split ends regularly.
- Keep your hair moisturized.
- Use protective hair styles.
- Apply protein treatments.
- Always use wide tooth comb and brushes.
- Keep your hair combs, brushes and caps clean.
- Don’t rub your wet hair hard with towel, because wet hair are most weak hair.
- Don’t use hot water to wash your hair. It causes bad damages.
- Don’t apply conditioning and styling products to your hair.
- Don’t tie your hair tight.
- Don’t style your hair tight. Avoid pulling and mashing styles.
- Don’t brush or comb your wet hair.
- Don’t use heat styling techniques.
- Don’t blow dry your hair every time you wash them.
- Don’t wear tight hats or covers.
- Don’t go in dusty places without wearing a hair cap.
- Don’t go in sun when oil is applied on your hair.
17 Detailed Dos and Don'ts Rules for Daily Hair Care:
To keep your hair looking its best every day, follow this simple guide. These dos and don'ts will keep your hair healthy and strong.
Right Products and Shampoo Rules
1. Do invest in a good hair cut. Caring for your locks becomes so much easier when you are sporting a fabulous 'wash and wear' style.
2. Do wash your hair with the correct products. Dry hair requires a moisture-drenching shampoo, while oily hair benefits from frequent shampooing with a purifying, oil-regulating shampoo.
3. Do invest in a good quality clarifying shampoo. Although not designed for regular use, clarifying shampoos work to remove a build-up of product and chemicals. Experts recommend using this type of shampoo a few days before undertaking a color treatment.
Hair Brushing Basics
4. Do brush your hair each morning. This will help remove dust, dirt and loose scales. It also stimulates the blood supply and distributes sebum along the hair shaft.
5. Don't use a brush on wet hair. Use a wide-toothed comb instead. Start at the ends, gently working your way up towards the roots.
6. Do brush your hair at night before going to bed. If your hair is long, tilt your head forward and brush from the base of the head forward.
7. Do allow your hair to dry naturally as often as possible. Use a highly absorbent towel to mop up excess moisture then finger dry.
Protect Your Hair
8. Don't expose your hair to the sun during the hottest time of the day. Cover up and wear a hat instead.
9. Do wash hair after swimming in chlorinated water.
10. Don't forget to clean your brushes and combs. Let them soak in warm, soapy water once a week.
11. Do tone on a regular basis. Toning involves regular massage of the scalp. This stimulates the blood supply to the root of the hair follicle.
12. Do nourish your scalp with oil twice weekly. This will help to soften and strengthen graying hair. Choose from almond, coconut or extra-virgin olive oil. Soak a cotton ball in the oil and dab on to the scalp, leave for half an hour then wash with very warm water. Finish with a cold rinse to flatten the cuticle of the hair. The result is softer, smoother, manageable hair.
13. Do wet your hair before stepping into the pool. When the hair shaft absorbs regular water, it helps negate the damaging effects of swimming in chlorinated water. Better still, wear a swimming cap.
Keep Your Hair Healthy and Strong
14. Don't tie your hair back too tightly and never when it is wet. This stretches the hair shaft, causing it to break and split.
15. Do eat foods rich in skin and hair enhancing essential fatty acids. By taking care of your diet, the state of your inner health will reflect in the condition of your hair. Be kind to yourself.
16. Don't over-style. Experts recommend using a blow dryer only for special occasions. At the end of your styling session, switch to cold air. This closes the hair shaft, leaving the hair smooth, glossy and shiny.
17. Don't forget to keep regular scheduled appointments with your stylist. Making an appointment for a trim every 4 to 6 weeks will leave your hair in tiptop condition.