Can Epsom Salt Bath Help You Lose Weight?
If dieting, taking weight loss pills, and exercising is not your cup of tea, Epsom salt bath may be the perfect way to lose a few extra pounds. It is an excellent and relaxing way to lose weight. This salt has been used since the 1900s for weight loss and to cure skin and digestive problems. Epsom salt or magnesium sulphate heptahydrate was discovered in Epsom, England.
These clear crystals help in regulating many enzymes in our body and maintaining healthy hair, nails, and skin by helping in collagen synthesis. Would you like to know how Epsom salt bath benefits weight loss?
Do you find it strange to believe that a salt bath can cause weight loss? Well, it is true. Epsom salt has been used since ages for getting relief from muscle pain, soreness, and aches. Surprisingly, it is also equally beneficial in reducing weight.
Experts are of the opinion that the build-up of toxins in the body is one of the main reasons for weight gain. Epsom salt, with its magnesium and sulfate content, can contribute to removing excess toxins from the body thereby aiding in weight loss.
Would you like to know how epsom salt bath benefits weight loss? Please continue reading.
1. How Does Epsom Salt Promote Weight Loss?
Epsom Salt Bath For Weight Loss
A British biochemist at the University of Birmingham, Rosemary Waring, found out that the sulfate and magnesium are absorbed into the skin during the Epsom bath. The levels of these two minerals in the blood increase after you soak in the bath for some time, and they start their work of eliminating environmental toxins from the body. They simultaneously also heal the various other ailments of the skin, thereby making you feel relaxed and de-stressed.
Studies suggest that a deficiency of magnesium in the body can cause high blood pressure, heart problems, backaches, and headaches. Similarly, low levels of sulfate result in body exhaustion. When the level of both these minerals increases in the blood, the system of the body reaches a balance and can perform all the functions properly.
Poor absorption of nutrients and emotional eating are considered the main culprits behind weight gain. When the toxins are expelled from the body, you feel more energetic and relaxed and are less likely to go on binging on food. It lowers your chances of over-eating and your metabolism too starts working at its best.
2. Health Benefits Of Epsom Salt
- Epsom salt is used in the bath to relieve the soreness of muscles.
- It helps in removing excess of oil from the skin and hair.
- It is a good antidote for mild sunburn irritation and pain, and is used as an alternative to Aloe Vera.
- It causes quicker recovery from muscle strains and other minor injuries.
- It provides relief from bee stings and bug bites.
- It is a good solution for dry lips.
- It is considered one of the best skin exfoliators, and hence is regularly used for deep exfoliation in masks and pedicure.
- It is used to treat poison ivy rashes.
- Epsom salt helps you to feel relaxed and aids in getting better sleep.
3. Types Of Epsom Salt Baths
Apart from using only Epsom salt in the bath, you can also try out other variations to enhance the results. Here are a few types of Epsom salt baths that will add variety to your weight loss program and will motivate you to stick to this routine.
1. Ginger And Epsom Salt
If excess toxin build- up is the main reason for your weight gain, then, you should add ginger to the bath along with Epsom salt. Ginger is known to open the body pores and cause elimination of toxins through sweat. It is an easy and the most natural way of removing body toxins. The remedy works much better if you use warm or hot water for ginger and the Epsom salt bath. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of crushed ginger against 2 cups of Epsom salt to the bath for faster results. Soak yourself for half an hour in the hot bath.
2. Baking Soda And Epsom Salt
Add 2 cups each of Epsom salt and baking soda to the bathing water and rub the body gently using a soft sponge. This process helps in cleaning the dead skin cells and removing the excess toxins from the body.
3. Vinegar And Epsom Salt
Add Epsom salt and apple cider vinegar in the ratio of 1:2 in hot or warm water. Soak yourself in the bath for 30 to 40 minutes. Vinegar is known for relieving stress and joint pains. Hence, apart from losing weight, you will also get relief from muscle stress and joint aches.
4. Epsom Salt And Essential Oils
Adding a preferred essential oil to the Epsom salt bath helps to increase its properties. You can add 10 to 20 drops of an essential oil of your choice, such as lavender or jojoba essential oil, to induce relaxation.
For getting the best of all these remedies, you can try each one of them alternately.
4. How To Make Epsom Salt Bath For Weight Loss:
You can make Epsom salt bath by adding 400-500 grams Epsom salt to a warm water bath. Do not add too much of the salt as it will not reduce more weight. The Epsom salt bath works best when used in the right amount.
Steps For Making Epsom Salt Bath
- During the initial days, start by adding one tablespoon of Epsom salt to your bath.
- Gradually increase the quantity of the Epsom salt to two cups per bath, but make sure that your body has adjusted to the increased levels of sulfate and magnesium.
- Increase the amount of Epsom salt in the bath according to your experience as it varies from person to person – but do not let it go beyond 2 cups.
Note:You might experience irritability, mood swings or even hyperactivity if you are adding an excess of Epsom salt to the bath water.
5. Detoxifying and Rejuvenating
Although essential oils are recommended to make your experience of Epsom bath more relaxing and aromatic, some experts believe that adding oil reduces the effect of the Epsom salt. To enhance the effect, you can use mineral water, especially if you want to get relief from muscle pain. Also known as a detox bath, it leaves you de-stressed and rejuvenated for long hours. It is important to drink lots of water before and after the bath to get the maximum benefits of the Epsom salt bath.
6. Frequency of Taking Epsom Salt Bath for Weight Loss
There is a difference of opinion when it comes to the frequency of taking an Epsom salt bath. Some believe that for rapid weight loss, you must take this bath every day. There are a few others who believe that it should be taken only once in two to three weeks. The best solution is to ask your caregiver, who will have a better idea and can suggest the frequency according to your health condition.
7. Facts About Epsom Salt
- Epsom salt was first discovered in a saline bitter spring of Epsom in Surrey, England. It is, hence, named after the place.
- Although it is called a salt, it is not exactly a salt, but a type of naturally occurring mineral compound enriched with sulfate and magnesium.
- Epsom salt looks like small, clear crystals. It aids weight loss when taken in proper amounts.
- Never add more than 600 grams of Epsom salt in your bath.
- Do not take Epsom salt bath for more than 20 minutes.
- Drink water before and after taking Epsom salt bath.
- The internal use of Epsom salt should be avoided as it may cause vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea. Consult your doctor before taking Epsom salt internally.
- Avoid taking Epsom salt bath if you are diabetic, or suffer from kidney disease, heart disease, and irregular heart beat.
- Pregnant women should consult their doctors before taking Epsom salt bath.
- Patients with diabetes, heart trouble or high blood pressure should avoid an Epsom salt bath.
A. Can I eat or drink Epsom salt instead of taking a bath for weight loss?
To lose weight, you have to take Epsom salt bath. However, if you wish to use Epsom salt for other health issues, such as constipation, you should consult your doctor first.
B. Is Epsom salt different than the bath salt?
Yes. Epsom salt only contains magnesium and sulphate. On the other hand, bath salts may contain other ingredients that can be toxic chemicals. Hence, it is better to use organic Epsom salt.
C. Where to buy Epsom salt?
You can buy Epsom salt from the nearby pharmacy.
D. Does Epsom salt have a similar effect on the skin as sea salt?
No. Epsom salt is all good for your skin. It does not leave a residue on your skin after the bath. You will feel fresh and active after indulging in the Epsom salt bath.
E. My skin is dry. Can I use Epsom salt bath?
Yes. Epsom salt will not dry out your skin further. It is known to soften the skin. However, if you are still worried, do drink enough water before and after taking the Epsom salt bath.
F. Is it safe to use Epsom salt bath for people who have health problems?
If you have health problems, always consult your doctor before taking the Epsom salt bath. Your doctor has knowledge about your medical history and knows what can harm you or benefit you.