The skin pores are generally composed of hair follicles and sebaceous glands (this oil gland work as a protective layer on the skin). If the oil is over produced and clogs the skin pores along with the epidermal cells shed by skin and this will give rise to acne. If this acne gets infected deeply to form cysts then it becomes cystic acne / pimples.
What Causes Cystic Acne?
It is caused due to hormonal changes, greasy cosmetics, excessive sweating, certain drugs, aging, poor skin care hygiene, etc. and it is most commonly seen in teenagers. These cysts are filled with fluids that contain dead cells, bacteria and white blood cells which appear mostly on face, chest and back.
How to Get Rid of Cystic Acne?
There are many over the counter treatments available in the market but the usage of natural remedies will give best, safe, cost effective and long lasting results to the cystic acne. So, try the below mentioned natural home remedies for cystic acne.
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda has antibacterial, antiseptic and antimicrobial properties that prevent bacteria causing acne. It has anti – inflammatory property that heals the pain or inflammation on the skin. It also balances the pH levels of the skin to make it healthy by exfoliating the skin to absorb excess oil.
- Add 1 – 2 tablespoons of baking soda and enough of water in a bowl.
- Stir well to make it a thin paste and apply it on the cystic acne affected areas.
- Let it sit for about 15 – 20 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Dry the area gently and apply moisturizer that suits your skin type to prevent dryness and irritation.
- Continue doing this process for 1 – 2 times daily to get rid of acne cysts.
- Or use enough cucumber juice instead of water for mixing baking soda and apply it on cysts.
- Mix baking soda and sea salt in a little of water and apply this on acne cysts. Wait for 3 – 5 minutes and rinse off with water.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has astringent property that removes the excess oil to cure acne and also reduces pain and inflammation due to its anti-inflammatory property. It balances the pH levels and cleanses the skin thoroughly to get rid of dead cells, excess oil and bacteria.
- Dilute 1 tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar in 1 teaspoon of water.
- Stir well and dip a cotton ball in it and dab it on the affected skin areas.
- Rinse off with water after 15 minutes and dry the skin gently.
- Repeat the process for twice daily for few days to get relief from acne cysts.
- Or else apply ACV directly on the cystic acne and leave it on for overnight and rinse off in the morning.
- Or simply, mix 1 teaspoon of raw ACV and a little of honey in 1 glass of warm water. Drink this tonic for once or twice daily to prevent acne and other skin problems from inside out.
3. Egg White:
Egg white has great source of proteins and also has enzyme called lysozyme that destroys bacteria and tightens the skin to narrow down and close the skin pores for deep cleansing. The drying effect of egg white will remove the excess oil from the skin.
- Separate egg white from an egg and place it in a bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon milk and 1/2 teaspoon honey in it.
- Stir well and apply this mix on the clean face as a mask by covering all over the face and neck.
- Leave it on for about 30 – 45 minutes to get dried completely.
- Now wet your fingers with warm water and gently scrub it on the face.
- Finally, rinse off with water and dry the skin.
- Do the same process for twice a week on regular basis.
Or if you have a dry skin then rinse off after 15 minutes of application, rather than till it gets dried completely on the skin to prevent over dryness and irritation.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has excellent antibacterial and antiseptic properties that fight against acne causing bacteria. It penetrates deep into the skin to unclog the hair follicles, disinfect the pores and dry out blemishes by removing dust and other impurities.
- Add tea tree oil and water in 1:3 ratio and stir well.
- Apply it on the cystic acne affected areas by using a cotton ball.
- Let it sit for few minutes and rinse off with water.
- Regularly use it for 2 – 4 times a day to get rid of cystic acne without any scars.
- Or simply apply tea tree oil directly on the acne cysts using cotton swab at night before bed time. Rinse off with lukewarm water in the next morning.
- Alternatively, use tea tree oil based moisturizers, creams, gels or facial masks regularly to get rid of the problem.
5. Neem or Indian Lilac:
Neem is an age old remedy that was widely used by Ayurveda for treating many skin problems, including acne. It helps to detoxify the whole system and purifies blood which in turn reduces the pus and inflammation caused due to acne. It also helps to break out the cysts and reduces the spread of infection.
- Boil some neem leaves in water for about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Allow it to cool down for another few minutes and strain the water.
- Drink this water to get relief from cystic pimples from inside out.
- Regular intake will help you to get rid of this bacterial infection completely from the skin.
- Or simply chew fresh tender neem leaves in the morning to grab maximum health benefits.
- Alternatively, crush few fresh neem leaves with little of water to make a fine paste. Apply this paste on the acne cysts affected areas. Wash off after few minutes.
- Or else, apply neem oil to the cystic acne using a cotton ball and leave off for few hours to overnight. Repeat it for twice daily till you cleared the acne cysts on the skin.
Honey has antibacterial and antioxidant properties that fight against the bacterial and free radicals attack on the skin and thus prevents the damage caused to the skin. It has anti-inflammatory property that soothes the redness, irritation and discomfort caused by acne cysts.
- Dip a cotton ball in raw and organic honey and dab it on the cystic acne affected skin areas.
- Leave it on for about 10 – 15 minutes and rinse off with warm water.
- Dry the skin gently and repeat the same for 2 – 3 times daily for few days to notice the quick relief.
- Or mix 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder in 1/2 teaspoon of organic honey till it forms fine paste.
- Apply it on the affected areas and rinse off with warm water after 10 minutes to get rid of the cystic acne.
7. Coconut Oil:
Don’t get confused that cystic acne is a result of excessive oil deposits in the skin and using coconut oil will even worse your condition. Coconut oil is one excellent remedy for treating acne cysts.
It contain healthy fats that in turn has rich source of medium chain fatty acids that exhibits antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, which is used to get rid of acne cysts. It has vitamin E that exhibit antioxidant property to fight against the attack of free radicals on the skin.
- Start the process with facial steam to clean the face and also to open up the skin pores.
- Then add few drops of organic coconut oil on the face and neck.
- Be sure to concentrate more on the cystic pimples affected skin areas.
- Massage it gently for few minutes in circular motion and rinse off with mild soap and water after few minutes – few hours.
- Repeat the same process for 2 – 3 times daily (once at night before bedtime) to cure acne cysts without forming scars on the skin.
Alternatively, use any natural oils (or) a combination of essential oil with natural oils to get relief from cystic acne along with its scars on the skin.
8. Clay Masks:
Clay has amazing absorbent, exfoliating and astringent properties that help to draw the excess sebum, eliminates dead cells, open up the skin pores and cleanse the affected areas. It also cools the redness and the irritated skin.
- Add 1 – 2 tablespoons of clay (fuller’s earth or bentonite clay or green clay) in enough of water.
- Stir well by adding 1/2 teaspoon of raw honey and 1 – 2 drops of tea tree oil in it.
- Stir and apply this all over the face and neck as a face pack.
- Allow it to dry completely for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Then wet a clean washcloth and gently rub on the mask applied skin to remove mask.
- Now rinse gently with cold water to close the skin pores.
- Dry the skin to apply moisturizer and repeat the same daily for a week to get rid of the problem.
Or else mix the clay as per your skin type like water (for oily skin), milk (for combination skin) and jojoba oil (for dry and sensitive skin).
Tips and Precautions:
- Drink plenty of water, avoid oily, fatty and spicy food, reduce the intake of sugar, dairy products and processed foods, consume healthy and balanced diet (like fresh fruits and veggies, vitamin A, C & E rich foods), etc.
- Reduce your stress levels by doing meditation, deep breathing, yoga and other related exercises.
- Sleep for at least 7 – 8 hours, take some proper care for your skin, wear loose clothes to avoid rubbing or excessive sweating, remove make-up before going to sleep, avoid over harmful or greasy cosmetic products, etc.
- Consult your dermatologist if you didn’t find any relief from the cystic acne after using these amazing home remedies, as it might be caused due to any other health related problems.
- Lemon or lime juice, facial steaming, turmeric powder, potatoes, mango, aspirin paste, aloe vera gel, green tea, sea salt water, lavender oil, ice it, etc. are some other effective cystic acne natural remedies used at home.
- Never ever pick or squeeze the acne which in turn results in spreading the infection and scarring. You can also moisturizer your skin by using an oil – free moisturizer.