Anxiety and Stress
Do you know there are more than 40 million American adults over the age of 18 are suffering from anxiety? Anxiety – a simple way of body’s reaction to any stressful, unfamiliar and dangerous situations.
Anxiety is defined as good or bad as per one’s assumption. Some people say that it helps us to stay alert and aware while others think that it becomes frequent or forceful which takes over their lives. If you’re experiencing any forceful situation then it’s best to consult your doctor to get rid of cardiovascular problems, insomnia, high blood pressure, digestive problems, depression, nutritional deficiencies, thyroid or adrenal disorders, etc.
What Causes Anxiety?
In general, anxiety comes in many forms but it is difficult to differentiate between normal, social and severe forms. It exhibits certain symptoms like excessive worry, sleeping problems, irrational fears, obsessive mind, panic attack, compulsive behaviors, restlessness, obsessive mind, adrenal fatigue, headache, difficulty in breathing, upset stomach, dizziness, dry mouth, nausea, etc. then you have crossed the line.
Symptoms of Anxiety
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms then you have to consult your doctor immediately for proper diagnoses and treatment. Always remember that there is no magic pill to stop this anxiety overnight.
How to Get Rid of Anxiety?
Strengthening your mind set, following some relaxing techniques, intake of dietary tips and supplements along with some natural remedies at home will help you a lot in reducing the anxiety and its symptoms.
Quick Note: If you want to control the sudden anxiety attacks, prevent restless or get a good sleep, put on an anxiety blanket. They are specifically designed to encourage good hormone production in your brain which reduces the anxiety.
Home Remedies for Anxiety:
Here are some best natural remedies that help you a lot in relieving your stress, panic attacks, fear, and anxiety. All you need is to follow the below-mentioned remedies regularly as per your preference to cope with your stress, depression, and anxiety.
1: Herbal Teas
There are many herbs that effectively help you to deal with stress, anxiety, and depression. Have a look at these herbal teas and drink it daily to tame your stress and anxiety without any medication or doctor’s visit.
It raises the neurotransmitter levels, including serotonin and dopamine chemicals which in turn helps to increase your focus, memory, mood, sound sleep, etc. The antioxidants help to protect the brain from the attack of free radicals.
It also reduces the adrenal fatigue, modulates stress hormone levels and raises resilience to stress.
Ginger Tea Recipe for Anxiety and Stress
- Simply place 1 tablespoon of minced or sliced fresh ginger root in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Simmer for 5 – 10 minutes and remove the heat.
- Strain the tea and add some raw honey to drink this warm tea.
- Do it 2 – 3 times daily to get rid of stress and anxiety.
It contains caffeine, L-theanine, and energy boosting property that helps to relax the mind and thereby improves mood. It has theanine (an amino acid) that helps hypothalamus to release serotonin and dopamine to deal with anxiety. It reduces the stress levels and restores the functioning of adrenal glands to get control of your stress and anxiety.
Green Tea Recipe for Anxiety and Stress
- Add 1 teaspoon of green tea leaves in 1 cup of hot water.
- Then add 4 – 5 basil leaves and let it steep for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Strain the tea and stir by adding 1/2 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and honey to it.
- Drink this green tea daily in the morning before breakfast to get complete relief from anxiety.
It has the mild sedative effect that promotes relaxation to the mind and drowsiness. The apigenin and luteolin chemicals in chamomile help for relaxation by calming you down and relieve anxiety.
Chamomile Tea Recipe for Anxiety and Stress
- In 1 cup of hot water, add 2 – 3 teaspoons of dried chamomile (prefer German chamomile).
- Steep it for 3 – 5 minutes by covering it.
- Strain and add honey and a little cinnamon for taste.
- Drink this warm tea and repeat it few times daily.
It calms the nerves and eases anxiety and the volatile oils in fennel have an anxiolytic effect on the body. It effectively reduces the gastrointestinal symptoms which trigger anxiety.
Fennel Tea Recipe for Anxiety and Stress
- Pour 1 – 2 teaspoons of fennel seeds (prefer slightly crushed) in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Simmer it for 5 – 10 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Allow it to cool down to reach room temperature.
- Consume it regularly before or after meals.
Lemon Balm Tea
It is an excellent nerve tonic and mind relaxant that enhances proper sleep and thereby reduces anxiety. For extra benefits, you can consume it with catnip, green tea, lavender or other herbs.
Lemon Balm Tea Recipe for Anxiety and Stress
- Mix 1 teaspoon of lemon balm in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Cover and let it steep for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Strain and drink this tea at night before bedtime or whenever you feel anxious.
- Repeat it daily to get rid of anxiety.
Rosemary has calming effects that stimulate the blood circulation, relaxes your respiratory muscles and thereby make you alert to get rid of anxiety and stress.
Rosemary Tea Recipe for Anxiety and Stress
- Pour 2 teaspoons of dried rosemary in 1 cup of hot water.
- Cover and steep it for about 10 minutes.
- Strain and stir some honey.
- Consume it regularly until you achieved satisfying results.
You can take some of these herbs in supplement forms like lemon balm (dosage – 400 mg capsules for twice daily), chamomile (dosage – 400 to 1600 mg capsules (or) 1 – 4 ml of liquid extract for thrice daily), etc. but make sure to consult your doctor before taking these supplements.
Avoid the excess intake of green tea or lemon balm herb, as they make your more anxious by acting as a stimulant on the body and thus raise your anxiety levels.
Also, you can use fennel oil to reduce your stress and anxiety by simply pouring few drops of fennel oil on a tissue and inhale the smell slowly.
The smell of oranges or its peel will help you a lot in calming your nerves and thereby relieves your stress and anxiety. In a study, it is proved that citrus fragrances help to boost immunity and fight against depression.
- Peel an orange and inhale its aroma to uplift your mood.
- Then place these orange peels in a pan filled with water.
- Turn on the heat and allow it to simmer for few minutes.
- Now inhale the refreshing smell that comes out from boiling orange peels to keep your anxiety at bay.
- Repeat the same process when you suffer from anxiety and depression.
Note: Or simply mix 1 teaspoon of raw honey and a pinch of nutmeg powder in 1 cup of fresh orange juice and drink it once daily for few days to get control over your stress and anxiety.
3: Essential Oils
Essential oils like rose, ylang ylang, lavender oil, vetiver, chamomile, bergamot, frankincense and others help to reduce the depression and pain. You can either apply it topically or use it as aromatherapy.
Rosemary oil stimulates proper blood circulation and aids positive effect on the memory and alertness. Pour few drops of rosemary essential oil in an aromatherapy vaporizer or diffuser (or) use rosemary incense to get relief from anxiety and depression.
Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil has bioactive constituents like linalyl acetate and linalool that exhibits a calming and soothing effect on the nervous system and thereby induces relaxation and relieves depression. Pour 2 – 4 drops of lavender oil in 2 cups of warm water and inhale the steam to ease your anxiety.
You can also mix 3 – 5 drops of lavender oil in 1 teaspoon of olive oil or almond oil and use it as your massage on the neck, back, shoulders and bottom of feet for few minutes at night before bedtime. Do it once daily or whenever you suffer from anxiety.
4: Honey and Lemon
Lemon has rich content of vitamin C and potassium that consolidates the body’s metabolism. Honey enhances your immune system and strengthens your mind and body. This combination helps in recovering from adrenal fatigue and enhances the proper functioning of adrenal glands which is used for the production of hormones (especially cortisol) that deals directly with anxiety and stress – related issues.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon each of ground ginger and honey in a bowl.
- Stir well to make a fine smooth mixture.
- Consume this mix for thrice a day on regular basis to get rid of anxiety, stress, and insomnia.
5: Nuts & Seeds
In a study, it is stated that nuts and seeds will boost the brain power and thereby enhance your moods. The amino acid called tryptophan in nuts and seeds help to convert into serotonin of our brain. Nuts can be an excellent remedy for antidepressants, as they act as an emotion boosting foods with essential nutrients, depression, anxiety, and insomnia.
Nuts like cashew nuts, walnuts, almonds, hazel nuts, etc. that have vitamins B6 & E, magnesium, alpha – linoleic and omega fatty acids that enhance your mental health. Seeds like dry sunflower seeds, flaxseeds and pumpkin seeds, etc. are also helpful in strengthening your mental health and enhances mood.
Note: The recommended daily dosage of these nuts and seeds will be 1/4 cup per day for nuts and few tablespoons per day for seeds.
6: Epsom Salt
There are many benefits of Epsom salt that used in our daily routine and one among them is reducing your stress and anxiety. The magnesium sulfate in the salt will help to soothe the irritated nerves and relax them. It also effectively eliminates the harmful toxins and other impurities from the body through the detoxification process.
- Pour 1 – 2 cups of Epsom salt in your bathtub filled with warm water.
- Stir and soak in this water for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Then rinse your body with normal water and dry your skin.
- Continue doing the same process regularly until you get complete relief from the stress and anxiety.
Note: Or you can also use baking soda instead of Epsom salt by adding 1/3 cup each of grated ginger and baking soda in your bathtub filled with warm water. Soak for 15 minutes and take your bath normally. Do it once in 2 days to get rid of anxiety.
The rich amounts of potassium and folic in celery help to treat depression and anxiety. Regular consumption of this celery will prevent you from being nervous all the time.
- Take some fresh celery and wash it thoroughly.
- Then chop it into small chunks and put in a bowl.
- Now consume 2 cups of celery leaves for twice daily.
- Regular intake of this celery will definitely help you to get rid of anxiety and stress.
8: Almonds with Nutmeg
Almonds are enriched with omega – 3 fatty acids and other essential nutrients that help to improve your mood and thus alleviate your depressed mood and anxiety.
- Soak 8 – 12 almonds in enough water for overnight.
- Peel off its skin in the next morning and grind them to make a fine paste.
- Then add a pinch of nutmeg powder and grated ginger and this almond paste in 1 cup of milk.
- Stir well and drink it once daily until you notice improvements in handling your anxiety and depression.
9: Diet Plan
Diet (or food cravings) is one of the main reason for causing anxiety, stress, and depression. As the food which we eat will have a substantial impact on the mood. Due to food carvings, we eat food that is rich in carbs, fat, and sugar and this, in turn, will affect your mood and anxiety. So, instead of munching on these foods you can consume a healthy food that makes you feel happy and enhance your mood.
Consume food that supports your neurotransmitter’s production, as they send a message to the brain and thereby controls the mood, appetite, energy levels and other functions. So, include foods like spinach, banana, kale, wild caught fish, collards, etc. for boosting the production of your neurotransmitter.
The intake of omega fatty acids will help to reduce the inflammation and thereby improves your brain functionality. So, including omega – 3 fatty acids like salmon, wild caught fish, cold water fish, anchovies, mussels and sardines in your daily diet of at least 2.5 milligrams of this fatty acids for 12 weeks to enhance your mood and anxiety.
The vitamin B12 is essential for supporting your neurological system and thereby promotes good mood hormones. B-vitamins help to produce the serotonin that promotes the good mental health and beat your food cravings. The main drawback of vitamin B12 is that it is found rich in animal products, so the vegans may develop B12 deficiencies.
The foods rich in vitamin B are raw cheese, raw dairy, salmon, spinach, organic poultry, sunflower seeds, dried herbs, etc. To utilize this b-vitamin properly into the body, you have to consume foods that are rich in magnesium (pumpkin seeds, almonds, spinach, chard, black beans, etc.) and zinc foods (sesame seeds, chickpeas, dark chocolates, wheat germ, watermelon seeds, garlic, etc.).
The deficiency of choline will also result in anxiety. So, consume eggs as your breakfast to grab the proteins and natural source of choline to the body.
Intake of whole grain foods like blueberries, acai berries, green leafy vegetables, chocolates, almonds, maca root, walnuts, etc. will help to get relief from stress and anxiety.
It is proved that unhappy gut will impact the state of your mind directly. So, consume a healthy, easy to digest and nutritious foods instead of junk foods, high glycemic carbs, alcohol, coffee and carbonated beverages, unrefined sugars, fried and processed foods to reduce the anxiety. Probiotics play an important role in improving gut health.
It has healthy bacteria that control your bad bacteria from thriving. Also, remember that don’t stay hungry for a longer period of time, as it there will be a drop in your blood sugar levels, which in turn results in the attack of anxiety.
Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and also to flush out the toxins from the body and also to support the hormonal balance.
We all well aware that serotonin chemical is essential to regulate the stress levels. So, include whole grains, oatmeal, peaches, and blueberries to produce serotonin production and thereby calm down your nerves to get rid of stress and anxiety.
Cortisol is a stress hormone that impacts your mood and anxiety. So, lower your cortisol levels by including foods like magnesium, omega fatty acids, oranges, dark chocolates, dark leafy vegetables, etc.
10: Physical Activities
Physical activities will also help to reduce your stress and anxiety levels. So, here we are mentioning some best forms of physical activities for lowering your anxiety and depression.
Below are Some Physical Activities and Relaxing Techniques for Anxiety and Stress Release:
It exhibits a significant impact on GABA levels which in turn promotes happy neurotransmitter. Doing yoga regularly will help to build gray matter in the brain, as the reduced gray matter will result in the emotional problems and memory impairment.
Meditation trains your brain and body to turn off the stress signals and promotes relaxation by reducing the cortisol levels and stress related diseases. So, perform meditation for at least 15 – 30 minutes daily.
Deep breathing will help you to reduce the sympathetic nervous system and enhance the body’s relaxation process naturally. So, perform breathing exercises daily for at least few minutes to relieve your depression, muscle tension, anxiety, and stress.
Walking outdoors, garden at home, spend time at the ocean, spend time with a loved ones, walking through forests, etc. will help to reduce stress and promote relaxation.
Regular exercises will enhance your mood and relaxation to alleviate your anxiety. So, exercise daily for few minutes to get relief from stress and anxiety.
Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese medicine used to cure many ailments, including anxiety. It effectively relieves your stress, sleep troubles, anxiety, poor circulation, headaches, panic attacks, etc.
Tips and Precautions:
- Avoid the intake of anti-anxiety herbs if you’re experiencing adrenal fatigue syndrome in moderate to chronic stages.
- Avoid or lessen any drinks that contain caffeine why because it acts as a stimulant on the body and thereby increases anxiety levels.
- Garlic stimulates the production of serotonin which in turn responsible for the transmission of signal and mood regulation. Mince 3 – 4 cloves of garlic and consume it along with 1 glass of water or juice (or) add garlic cloves in your dishes and salad dressing.
- Cardamom is loaded with all essential properties and nutrients that are required to fight against the depression and anxiety. Simply crush 3 – 4 cardamom seeds into a fine powder and then add this powder to 1 glass of water. Stir well to drink this concoction for once daily to stay away from anxiety and panic attack.
- You can use certain natural supplements like GABA, L-lysine, ashwagandha, kava, 5 – Hydroxytryptophan (5 – HTP), magnesium and calcium, etc. to relieve your stress and anxiety levels.
- Use of other herbs like nutmeg (1/4 teaspoon of powder in your food), basil (much few leaves or drink its tea), valerian (1 capsule before bedtime (or) mix valerian with lemon balm or chamomile), passion flower (45 drops of its extract or 90 mg of tablet daily for a month), etc. will help to relieve your anxiety.
- Even though after following these remedies and tips, if you’re experiencing intense anxiety or anxiety related disorder then consult your expert for proper diagnose and treatment.