When the dirt, oil, dead skin cells, makeup and other toxins clog the skin pores (or hair follicles) then the bacteria will thrive and causes inflammatory skin blemishes called acne. It is mainly caused due to stress, unhealthy skin care routine, hormonal imbalance, poor diet, certain medications, etc.
Symptoms of Acne
Acne occurs most commonly on the areas like face, back, neck and chest in the form of red breakouts, pimples, cysts, blackheads, whiteheads on the skin.
How to Get Rid of Acne?
However, there are plenty of commercial and over the counter medications and treatments available but the usage of natural remedies will provide long lasting results with low cost and no side effects.
Epsom Salt for Acne
Epsom salt or magnesium sulfate is one among those effective natural remedies for acne. Epsom salt helps to cleanse the skin and exfoliates it to get cure from acne without the formation of scars.
Is Epsom Salt Good for Acne?
Without knowing its properties against acne treatment, everyone thinks that does Epsom salt really works for acne treatment. So, here we are providing you the properties of Epsom salt to know how it becomes a great remedy for acne.
- It exfoliates the skin gently to remove dead skin cells, dirt and other impurities causing acne.
- It has the sulfur content that provides antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiseptic properties to fight against the germs causing acne on the skin.
- It contains anti-inflammatory property that reduces the pain, swelling, redness and other inflammation caused due to acne.
- It detoxifies the body to remove the harmful toxins, impurities, and microbes causing breakouts and also absorbs excess oil, dehydrate the bacteria which clog the skin pores and causing acne.
- Magnesium in this Epsom salt is an essential nutrient that required to improve skin and body health. It helps to soothe the nervous system to prevent stress – induced acne and thus cures the problem quickly. The deficiency of this mineral will result in frequent breakouts of acne.
- It activates enzymes and helps regulate the levels of many nutrients (like potassium, vitamin D, and zinc) that are essential for maintaining healthy skin, which in turn heals the damaged skin and prevents acne without forming scars on the skin.
How to Treat Acne Using Epsom Salt?
There are many ways of using Epsom salt for treating acne/pimples. Here we are providing you the best of Epsom salt methods for pimples.
Method – 1: (Epsom Salt with Water)
Plain Epsom salt should not be applied directly to the skin, so here we are mixing it with water. This process is used to treat acne, cystic acne, bacne, and blackheads.
- Dissolve 2 teaspoons of Epsom salt in 1 cup of water (normal or lukewarm water).
- Stir well and apply it on the acne affected skin areas using a cotton ball.
- Let it sit for few minutes to dry and rinse the area with warm water followed by cool water.
- Repeat the process regularly till you got complete relief from acne and its symptoms.
- Or add 2 cups of Epsom salt in your bathtub and run warm water over it. Soak yourself in this water for 15 – 20 minutes. Then have a plain water shower and repeat this bath for 3 times a week.
- Alternatively, Epsom salt compress helps to unclog the pores and reduces inflammation. Mix 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt in 1 cup of lukewarm water. Soak a clean cloth in it and place it on the affected area. Let it cool and then re-soak the cloth, wring out to place on the skin again. Rinse the area and repeat regularly.
Method – 2: (Epsom Salt Scrub with Coconut Oil)
Regular usage of Epsom salt will purge toxins and dead skin, kills bacteria and dry out the skin. Coconut oil fights against the bacteria and heals the damaged skin.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of Epsom salt in 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil.
- Stir well and apply this mix on the face and neck.
- Wait for few minutes and start scrubbing the applied area gently.
- Wash off and dry your skin thoroughly.
- Continue doing the same process regularly to get rid of acne.
Note: Or use olive oil instead of coconut oil.
Method – 3: (Epsom Salt Mask with Honey and Olive Oil)
This mask is very effective in treating acne. Epsom salt flushes out the impurities, olive oil and honey soothe the irritated skin.
- Combine 1 tablespoon each of Epsom salt, raw honey and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Stir well by adding few drops of fresh lemon juice in it.
- Apply this mix on the face and neck as a mask.
- Let it sit for about 15 – 20 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Dry the skin and moisturize the affected skin areas.
- Do the same process regularly to prevent acne.
Method – 4: (Epsom Salt with Baking Soda for Cystic Acne)
Magnesium in Epsom salt has an anti-inflammatory property that soothes the flare ups of cystic acne. Sulfate in this salt flushes out the toxins and cleanse the skin. Baking soda has antiseptic and acts as a gentle exfoliant that removes the excess oil on the skin.
- Mix baking soda and Epsom salt in some lukewarm water.
- Stir well to make it a fine paste and apply the paste on the acne cysts affected areas.
- Allow it to get dry and harden for few minutes.
- Rinse the applied area gently with warm water and repeat it regularly till you got complete relief from the acne cysts.
Method – 5: (Epsom Salt Poultice)
Epsom salt poultice with dried herbs is very effective in curing acne.
- Combine 1 tablespoon each of Epsom salt and your favorite dried herbs in 1 ½ tablespoons of natural carrier oil.
- Stir well and apply this on the affected skin areas.
- Cover it with a clean cloth soaked in warm water.
- Let it sit for about 15 – 20 minutes and remove the cloth.
- Rinse the area once with water and repeat the same process for thrice a week on regular basis.
Tips and Precautions:
- If you’re pregnant or nursing or child below 7 years or suffering from digestive problems or taking certain medications or OTC herbs or vitamins, then consult your doctor before using Epsom salt for acne treatment.
- Never ever apply Epsom salt directly on the skin, it should be always be diluted before using on the skin for treating any health or skin problems.
- Be sure that not to get Epsom salt into your eyes while you scrub or wear a mask on the face, as it irritates the eyes so, rinse your eyes immediately to clear this problem.
- Add some Epsom salt in your facial cleanser or scrub cream and use to cleanse or scrub your skin for getting rid of the acne.
- The magnesium competes with the calcium for absorption that in turn causes a deficiency of calcium. So, increase your calcium content while using Epsom salt as your acne treatment.
- For best results, be sure to rinse your face or acne affected areas with warm water to remove any dirt or impurities and to open up the skin pores before applying Epsom salt.
- Always use an airtight container for storing Epsom salt without any dampness and clumps.
- It’s suggested to do some skin patch test before using Epsom salt for acne to know whether you’re allergic to it or not.