Acne – an inflammatory skin problem caused when the hair follicles get clogged with excess oil (sebum), dead skin cell, bacteria and dirt. Thus it results in acne blemishes or pimples.
The most common acne affected areas are the face, neck, chest, back and shoulders. Food habits, hormonal imbalance and unhygienic skin care are the main triggers of acne breakouts.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Acne (ACV)
Don’t panic and rush for the cosmetic treatments or creams for treating your acne. There are many natural remedies available at your home, apple cider vinegar is one among the best remedy used for treating acne and its scars.
How Does Apple Cider Vinegar Prevent Acne?
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a powerhouse for treating acne. Have a look at its properties to know how it clears acne without leaving scars.
- Apple cider vinegar has malic acid that exhibits antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties which fight against the bacteria to unclog your skin pores to cure acne.
- It is rich in alpha-hydroxy acids and beta –carotene that exhibit antioxidant property which helps to get rid of free radicals attack on the skin and rejuvenate the damaged skin.
- It acts as a natural detoxifier that clears impurities and other harmful toxins causing acne.
- It has an anti-inflammatory property that reduces redness, pain, swelling and irritation.
- It contains all essential nutrients required to speed up the acne healing process and leaves your skin scars free.
- It balances your skin’s pH level to regulate the production of sebum (not too oily or too dry).
- It acts as an astringent that dries out the excess oil by regulating the sebaceous glands and it also balances your skin’s pH levels to create an unfriendly nature for bacteria to thrive.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Acne?
Discover the best ways of using apple cider vinegar for treating your acne and its symptoms in a faster manner. These methods are effective in treating acne on all over the skin.
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Water – External Application)
- Cleanse your face with mild soap and warm water.
- Pat dry and mix 1 part of ACV to 3 parts of water.
- Stir well and soak a cotton ball in this mix.
- Dab it directly on the acne blemishes and let it sit for 30 minutes to overnight.
- After that, rinse your face thoroughly with water.
- Dry it and apply some moisturizer to dryness caused by the use of ACV.
- Repeat it regularly to get relief from acne and its scars.
If you’re having oily skin, then mix 1:1 ratio of ACV and water mix on skin. Leave it for overnight to get rid of acne.
Or mix apple cider vinegar with aloe vera gel or coconut oil or witch hazel or onion juice and apply it on the acne affected areas to get rid of the problem.
Method – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar – Internal Intake)
Drinking apple cider vinegar will help to remove the impurities and other toxins in the bloodstream. This helps a lot in curing acne from inside.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon of honey in 1 glass of water (prefer lukewarm water).
- Stir well and drink it once daily to get relief from the acne.
- Or mix a juice of 1 fresh lemon, 1 teaspoon of raw honey and 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar in 12 oz of water and drink it throughout the day on daily basis.
- Or else mix apple cider vinegar in your favorite juices or green tea and drink it.
- Also, remember to rinse your mouth with water after drinking ACV to prevent the damage of tooth enamel.
Method – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Baking Soda)
Baking soda exfoliates the skin to remove the impurities on the skin and vinegar prevents the microbial action on the skin. So, this combination unclogs the skin pores and prevents acne effectively.
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of raw ACV and baking soda in a bowl.
- Apply this paste on the face and neck as a mask.
- Let it sit for 10 – 15 minutes and rinse off with cool water.
- Pat dry and apply moisturizer (as both these ingredients are drying agents) on the skin.
- Continue this mask for once or twice a week to get rid of acne.
Method – 4: (Apple Cider Vinegar for Cystic Acne)
- When the acne gets deeply infected then it forms cysts (fluids filled with bacteria, dead cells and white blood cells) and it is called as cystic acne.
- Apple cider vinegar has astringent and antimicrobial properties along with balancing the skin’s pH levels to remove excess oil, dead cells and bacteria to prevent cystic acne.
- Apply ACV directly on the cysts by using a cotton ball or Q-tip at night before bedtime.
- Leave it on for overnight and rinse with water in the next morning.
- Repeat it regularly till you get relief from cystic acne.
Note: If you’ve sensitive skin then mix ACV with little of water and apply it on acne cysts.
Method – 5: (Apple Cider Vinegar for Scalp Acne)
- Scalp acne is the result of clogged hair follicles. ACV disinfects the skin, clears scalp and balances its pH level to get rid of scalp acne.
- Apple cider vinegar acts as a natural detangler that cleanses your hair and makes it look shiny and smooth.
- Wash your hair and apply shampoo and conditioner.
- Then mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water.
- Use this mix to give a final rinse to your hair.
- Let your hair air dry and repeat it once or twice a week for 3 – 4 weeks.
Tips and Precautions:
- Always use organic, raw, unfiltered and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar with the Mother content to treat all your health, skin and hair problems, including acne.
- For treating bacne, mix 1 part of ACV with 2 parts of water and pour into an empty spray bottle. Spray it on the bacne affected areas and rinse off after 20 minutes.
- Use apple cider vinegar as a toner by pour a little on a cotton pad and apply it on the skin after cleansing. Wait till it dries and then apply lotions or creams which you use regularly.
- Never apply ACV on the open wounds or sensitive places of the skin or too near to the eyes, as it causes a stinging sensation.
- Do a skin patch test before using ACV for acne to know whether it causing any allergic reaction or safe to apply on skin.
- Consume a healthy diet by including fresh fruits and vegetables, reduce the processed or oily or fast foods, drink plenty of water, etc. should be included in your diet.
- Exercise regularly and do yoga to prevent your stress, which results in more acne breakouts.
- Apply sunscreen while going outside to prevent skin’s sensitivity to sun rays.
- Consult your doctor if you don’t find any relief or causing more acne breakouts, for proper diagnose and treatment as per your health condition.