Foods That Make Milk Go Sour
Lemons should not be kept near milk as lemon smell can make it turn bad and sour.
2. Acidic Liquid
Milk will turn bad if it is mixed with acidic liquid such as lemon, lemon juice and vinegar.
Milk should be kept away from melons or smell of melon or it will turn bad and sour. While refrigerating melon make sure milk is not inside the refrigerator.
4. Sour Food
Any food that is sour in taste when mix in milk can make it bad and sour.
Yogurt should also be avoided to be kept near milk, as only a drop of yogurt can make milk become bad.
How to Store Milk? Ways to Extend The Life of Milk
When stored below 40 degrees, whole milk lasts 5 to 7 days; non-fat 7 to 10 days; and reduced fat 7 days. But you can stretch the time between fresh and yech! by trying these strategies.
- Store milk in the back of your fridge, the coldest part, and the farthest away from the light, which degrades milk. I have a side-by-side, so I store my milk on the left side of the fridge, which shares a wall with the freezer.
- Pick up milk just before you check out of the store, so it’s not left in a warm cart while you cruise aisles for cereal bargains.
- Place milk on ice during your ride home on a hot day. Sometime the fish section of the grocery will bag ice for you.
- After you pour a glass, return milk directly to the fridge. Don’t let it sit on the counter any longer than you have to.
- Add a ½ tablespoon of baking soda to a gallon of milk when you open it; then shake. Baking soda reduces the acidity in milk and retards spoilage.
- Add a pinch of salt to a quart of milk to slow spoilage.
- Transfer a gallon of milk to four, quart-sized Mason jars. Pour to the top so there’s little headroom.
- Freeze milk, which will make it last up to three weeks. When you thaw, the color and texture of the milk may have changed, but it’s safe to drink and good to use in baking and cooking.
What to Do When Milk is Spoiled?
Spoiled milk may make you gag, but it’s not dangerous to drink. Here are some things you can make and do with sour milk.
Foods To Make From Sour Milk:
- Buttermilk biscuits
- Waffles and pancakes
- Soups and casseroles
- Cottage cheese
- Sour cream
- Add to your bath water for a soothing soak (add essential oils to make it smell better).
- Pour around plants to add nutrients and keep deer away.
- Dab it on poison ivy itches.
How to Keep Milk Fresh? Tips & Precautions
- Only pour milk into a dry, clean container (preferably glass or ceramic).
- ONLY wash milk containers with cold water (hot water accelerates the fermentation process).
- Keep milk away from other smells and air.
- Keep away from light (this causes vitamins to break down).