Acne is the major skin problem which is most commonly faced by teenagers and young adults in these days. It is an inflammatory skin disorder that occurs in the form of pimples, blackheads, cysts, whiteheads, zits, etc.
What Causes Acne?
When the dead skin cells, excess oil (sebum) or other impurities clog the hair follicles and make the bacteria to thrive into the skin and then causes blemishes called acne on the skin.
Hormonal imbalance, stress, poor diet, improper skin care hygiene, certain medications, etc. are some causes for acne.
How to Get Rid of Acne?
However, there are plenty of commercial cosmetic creams and treatments available for treating acne but the usage of natural remedies will treat best at low cost without any side effects.
Rose Water for Acne
Rose water is one of the best natural remedies for treating acne since ancient days. It is very effective in not only treating acne but also fades away the leftover acne scars on the skin.
Let’s get started to know how rose water treats acne.
Is Rose Water Good for Acne?
- Rose water works gently on the skin and cures acne with it’s below mentioned amazing properties.
- Rose water has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that clear the acne causing bacteria and other germs.
- It helps to maintain the natural pH balance of the skin, which in turn helps to reduce redness and irritation.
- It hydrates and moisturizes the skin to keep it fresh and relieves you from the discomfort throughout the day.
- It has anti-inflammatory and skin soothing properties that soothe the skin to get rid of swelling and inflammation on the affected skin areas.
- It acts as a natural skin toner that helps to tighten the skin pores, absorbs excess oil and relieves you from acne scars, wrinkles, and fine lines.
- It is enriched with vitamins – A (encourages the healthy cell turnover rate and soothes the acne prone skin), B3 (reduces redness and moisturizes the skin), C (strengthen the immunity and clears acne-causing bacteria), E (moisturizes and provides a barrier to keep out the bacteria).
- It has rich content of antioxidants that prevent the attack of free radicals on the skin to get rid of acne.
- It has an astringent property that cleans the pores and tones the skin. It also tightens capillaries and reduces the redness and irritation.
Before getting into the methods of using rose water for treating acne, you should know some natural ways to prepare organic rose water at home and use it to get rid of many skin problems.
How to Prepare Rosewater at Home?
Rose water is a byproduct of distilling rose petals for essential oil. Here is the detailed process.
- Separate the rose petals from roses and clean it thoroughly.
- Place it in a pot and fill it with water till it properly covers the petals.
- Cover the pot and simmer it for few minutes on a low flame.
- Do the process till the petals have lost its color and then turn off the heat.
- Strain the water and refrigerate the rose water in a container.
- If you want, you can add few drops of vitamin E oil to this rose water for keeping the skin soft and young.
- Alternatively, pour fresh rose petals in a jar filled with water. Stir well and leave it out in the sun for at least a week to get organic rose water.
How to Use Rose Water for Acne?
Here are some best methods of using rose water for clear acne and its symptoms. All you need to remember that it is not a one-time usage; you have to follow them regularly without any delay.
1. Rose Water
Applying rose water alone helps to clear acne by absorbing excess oil, clear dirt, and other dead cells and unclog the skin pores to get rid of acne.
- Take a cotton pad and pour some rose water over it.
- Apply this rose water on the acne affected skin areas by patting the cotton pad.
- Let it sit for few minutes and rinse off with water.
- Repeat the same process 3 – 4 times daily till you get rid of acne.
Note: Or apply this rose water at night before bedtime as an overnight treatment to get rid of acne.
2. Rose Water with Sandalwood
Sandalwood helps to absorb the excess oil from the skin and also soothes the skin to clear acne and the discomfort caused by it.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of rose water in 2 tablespoons of sandalwood powder in a bowl.
- Stir well to make a thick paste and apply this paste on the acne affected areas.
- Let it sit for few minutes till it dries completely and rinse off with water.
- Continue doing the same process for twice daily.
3. Rose Water with Fuller’s Earth
Fuller’s earth has excess oil and impurities absorbing property that makes the skin clear and unclogs the pores. This combination works well when applied as a face pack to get rid of acne.
- Mix enough amounts of fuller’s earth and rose water in a bowl till it forms a fine paste.
- Apply it on all over your face as a face pack.
- Allow it to sit for few minutes till it dries completely and then rinse off with water.
- Dry the skin and repeat the same regularly for 3 – 4 times a week.
Note: Or use gram flour instead of fuller’s earth to prepare a face pack and apply it on the face to treat acne.
4. Rose Water with Lemon Juice
Lemon juice treats acne with its citric acid content that dries out the oil causing acne and strengthens the immune system to clear bacteria. This combination helps to clear acne and also lightens the acne scars.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of fresh lemon juice and rose water in a bowl.
- Apply this mix on the affected skin areas using a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for about 10 minutes and then rinse off with water.
- Daily application will help you to get faster relief from acne.
Note: People with dry or sensitive skin should do a patch test before using this remedy, as lemon dry the skin and causes an allergic reaction.
5. Rose Water Face Pack with Cucumber and Honey
Both rose water and honey exhibit an antibacterial property that clears the bacteria causing acne, moisturizes the skin and also cleanse the skin pores. Cucumber provides soothing relief to the skin to clear the irritation and pain.
- Crush 2 – inches of fresh cucumber by adding 2 tablespoons of honey in a blender.
- Blend it till it forms a smooth paste and then add some rose water to it.
- Stir well and apply it on the face as a face pack.
- Let it sit for few minutes and rinse off with water to clear the face pack and thereby acne.
- Incorporate this rose water face pack in your daily routine till you get complete relief from acne.
- Or mix 1 drop of vitamin E oil in 2 tablespoons each of rose water, raw honey and sugar.
- Stir well and massage it on all over the face for 3 – 5 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water after it dries.
- Dry the skin and wipe your face with rose water.
6. Rose Water Toner with Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar treats acne with its antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiseptic, astringent and anti-inflammatory properties that cleanse the skin, clear bacteria, removes excess oils and tightens the skin pores. Rose water soothes and hydrates the skin to cure acne/pimples.
- Mix 5 – 10 ml of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in 30 ml of organic rose water.
- Stir well and pour it in a bottle.
- Shake it well and apply it skin as a toner.
- Repeat it daily to get quick relief from acne.
- Or mix 2 ml each of tea tree oil, hazelnut essential oil, sweet fennel oil to 300 ml of rose water. Stir well and store it in a bottle. Shake well and use it thrice daily as your rose water toner.
- Or else mix rose water and glycerin to make a powerful toner that helps to balance the skin and keep it well nourished. Apply it 2 – 3 times daily for best and quick relief from acne.
7: Rose Water with Baking Soda
Baking soda cures acne by exfoliating the skin to unclog the skin pores and balances the pH of the skin to reduce the acne breakouts.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of baking soda with enough rose water to make a paste.
- Apply it on your clean face and start scrubbing it gently for few seconds.
- Wait for 10 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
Note: Replace baking soda with cornstarch for treating acne.
Tips and Precautions:
- It is safe to use for people of all skin types. It is very gentle on the skin even if you use more concentration, it won’t cause any skin redness or damage to the skin.
- If you’re suffering from rosacea, then avoid using rose water for treating acne.
- Also, use rose water based creams, toners, cleansers, face washes, etc. to cure acne and also to fade acne scars.
- You can also use any of these rose water methods for treating body acne, back acne or cystic acne.
- Consult your doctor if you didn’t find any relief from the acne or its symptoms for proper diagnose and treatment.
- Drink plenty of water and consume a healthy diet by including fresh fruits and vegetables and avoiding oily or processed or fatty foods.
- Do some regular exercises to cut down the excess weight and thereby clears acne and other health problems.