Acne is a severe skin problem that makes the skin look terrible with red pimples, blackheads and whiteheads. It affects everyone but, most commonly young adults. The wise advice is to choose natural home remedies like oatmeal rather than over the counter treatments and creams for getting safe and long lasting prevention from acne or pimples.
Oatmeal for Acne
Oatmeal not only used as your best breakfast cereal but also used to treat acne along with its symptoms. Here are some of the oatmeal properties that make you know how it prevents acne.
- It absorbs excess oil to prevent clogging skin pores.
- It exfoliates the skin to remove dead and dry cells along with other toxins and also encourages the growth of new skin cells.
- It has antimicrobial (kills acne-causing bacteria), antioxidant (protect skin from harmful free radicals) and anti – inflammatory properties (that soothes the skin to relieve pain and irritation) that relieve discomfort associated with acne.
- It is rich in many essential nutrients that restore the hormonal balance and boost up the immune system to cure acne now and in future.
- It is a natural moisturizer that locks the moisture and prevents dry skin which is another cause for acne breakouts.
How to Use Oatmeal for Acne Treatment?
Now, here we are going to discuss about 3 best oatmeal masks for curing acne, its symptoms and scars on skin very effectively.
Mask – 1: (Oatmeal – Honey)
Honey has antibacterial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that fight against the acne and nourishes the damaged skin. This face mask works well for acne prevention rather than other oatmeal methods.
- Wash your face with mild cleanser and warm water.
- Dry the skin with a soft cloth or bath towel.
- Grind oatmeal using grinder or food processor until coarse.
- Pour 3 tablespoons of ground oats in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon each of raw honey and warm water in it.
- Stir it well to make it fine thick paste.
- Apply this paste on the face and neck thoroughly as a mask but concentrate more on affected facial areas.
- Wait for about 15 – 20 minutes and remove the mask with warm water and washcloth.
- Or use fresh lemon juice and few drops of tea tree oil instead of warm water in the process.
- Or simply add 2 tablespoons of honey (prefer manuka honey) in 1 serving of cooked oatmeal and follow the same process.
- Alternatively, cooked oatmeal itself is a best scrubbing agent that used widely to treat acne.
- Continue wearing this mask regularly to get rid of acne or pimples.
Mask – 2: (Oatmeal – Baking Soda)
Baking soda balances the pH levels of the skin and has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic properties along with microdermabrasion that relieves you from acne. This mask is used for more exfoliating potential.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of oatmeal and 1 tablespoon of baking soda in a bowl.
- Stir it by adding enough of warm water till it forms fine thick paste.
- Spread this paste on the clean face thoroughly as a mask.
- Rub it gently for 2 – 3 minutes and let it sit for 20 – 25 minutes before rinsing it with warm water.
- Dry the skin and repeat the mask regularly until you cleared acne completely on skin.
Mask – 3: (Oatmeal – Cucumber)
Cucumber has astringent, calming and cooling properties that reduce the discomforts caused due to acne. This mask balances the pH levels, removes dirt, dead cells and bacteria on skin and tightens the skin.
- Blend 1/2 of the medium sized cucumber and 2 tablespoons of ground oatmeal till smooth.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of fresh lemon juice and raw honey in it.
- Stir well to make it fine paste and spread this paste on the clean face thoroughly.
- Be sure to focus on pimples affected facial skin areas.
- Leave it for 20 – 25 minutes and rinse it with warm water.
- To get quick relief from pimples, you have to apply this mask regularly without any interruption.
Tips and Precautions:
You can also prepare oatmeal face masks by adding other natural ingredients like egg white, tomato, onion paste, yogurt, milk, turmeric, apple cider vinegar, essential oils, avocado mash, etc. to get rid of acne.
Avoid any contact with the sensitive eye areas and rinse it off immediately, if there is any contact with eyes.
Before starting any natural remedy (including oatmeal), its best to do some skin patch test to know whether it is allergic on skin or not.
Include oatmeal in your daily diet to cure pimples from inside out.
Always prefer cooked oatmeal rather than raw oats, as dry oats removes dead cells and oil but causes redness, dryness and irritation. Or mix dry oats with warm water to get the same effect as cooked oats.