Pimples occur when the skin pores become blocked with dead cells or dirt or other impurities and sebum (skin natural oil) becomes trapped. Then the bacterium begins to grow in that blocked hair follicles, resulting in acne or pimples outbreaks.
How to Get Rid of Acne?
However, there are various cosmetic and over the counter treatments available in market but looking for a natural way will yield best and long lasting results. Sea salt is one among those natural remedies that widely used to reduce the acne flare-ups.
Sea Salt Properties
Here are some amazing sea salt properties which make it as an effective anti – acne medicine.
- It has antibacterial property that kills the bacteria causing acne.
- It exfoliates the skin to remove dirt, dead skin cells and other toxic impurities which clog the pores and thus promotes the growth of new skin cells.
- It promotes proper blood circulation and detoxifies the body from inside.
- It is rich in many essential minerals and vitamins that help to stay the skin clean and healthy.
- It restores the skin’s natural oil balance and regulates sebum production to keep the skin smooth and infection free.
How to Use Sea Salt for Acne Treatment?
Here we came up with 3 different ways of using sea salt for curing acne or pimple blemishes like sea salt facial mask, sea salt scrub and sea salt facial spray. Let’s get started.
Method – 1: (Sea Salt Facial Mask)
Applying facial mask is the best way of clearing acne on face and neck, as sea salt along with other ingredients will get absorbed into the skin and prevents pimple outbreaks.
- Wash your face with mild cleanser and warm water.
- Dry the skin with a clean and dry cloth.
- Combine 1 teaspoon of sea salt with 3 teaspoons of hot water in a small bowl.
- Mix it well till the sea salt is dissolved completely.
- Then add 1 tablespoon of any natural ingredient (aloe vera, honey or green tea) and stir well.
- Apply this paste as a mask on all over your face and neck.
- Leave it on for about 10 – 15 minutes and wash it with cool to lukewarm water.
- Gently dry your face with a soft and clean towel and apply your moisturizer.
- Or simply mix sea salt in enough of water and apply this paste on acne affected skin areas either with your fingers or cotton ball.
- Alternatively, add 1/2 cup of sea salt in enough of distilled water and stir it well to dissolve the salt and make it thick paste. Apply this paste on acne affected areas and rub it in circular motions to get scrubbing action. Wash it off with warm water followed by cold water.
- Apply this mask once daily for few days to get complete relief from pimples on the face.
Method – 2: (Sea Salt Facial Spray)
This is simplest form of using sea salt as a spray on pimples affected skin areas. It not only clears pimples but also nourishes the skin.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of Himalayan sea salt and a pinch of Epsom salt in 1 cup of warm water.
- Then add 2 – 4 drops of any essential oil and stir all these ingredients well.
- Pour this mix in an empty spray bottle and spray it on your clean face by spraying little more on pimples.
- Be sure to close your eyes while spraying this mix on face and neck, as this mix irritates the eyes.
- Let the spray stay on face for about 10 – 15 minutes and rinse it with lukewarm water and dry the skin.
- Or add other natural ingredients like honey, aloe vera gel or green tea in dissolved sea salt mix and do the same process.
- Finally, apply regularly used moisturizer and repeat the spray once daily to get rid of pimples.
- Alternatively, fill the spray bottle with water and dissolve 1 tablespoon of ground sea salt by shaking it well. Use this mix as a toner by applying it with a cotton pad on affected areas.
Method – 3: (Sea Salt Soak)
Soaking in bathwater along with sea salt will definitely help you to get clear from acne or pimples at places where you’re unable to treat them like back side of the body, chest, arms, etc.
- Add 2 cups of sea salt to your bathtub which is filled with warm water.
- Wait for few minutes till the water temperature is comfortable for you to take bath.
- Soak yourself in this water for about 10 – 15 minutes and then rinse your body with cool water to remove sea salt water completely.
- Dry the skin and apply moisturizer. For grabbing effective relief from acne, you have to follow the same process for once daily.
Tips and Precautions:
- Usage of too much of sea salt can dry out the skin and cause irritation. So, use it careful in limited quantity.
- You can also mix sea salt with other natural ingredients like almond oil, olive oil, baking soda, fresh lemon juice, vitamin E oil, etc. and dab this mix on acne or pimples affected skin areas. Wash it after it gets dried completely with lukewarm water and then cool water.
- Avoid over scrubbing the skin with sea salt mix as it damages the skin and worse the pimples along with the pain and irritation.
- Use sea salt based soaps, creams, lotions, scrubs which are available in market but make sure that the product has pure sea salt in it.
- Never place dry sea salt directly on the skin as it stings a bit, dry out and damages the skin.
- Sea salt is different from table salt or normal home salt. So check the difference before using and start using sea salt for curing acne.